Monday, June 24, 2013

Pakistani Batsmen Lacked Confidence at the Champions Trophy": Sohail Tanvir

by Saj Sadiq - Pakpassion.net (21st June 2013)


Pakistan’s horrendous performance at the Champions Trophy wasn’t just a huge disappointment for their fans, but also for some of the players who narrowly missed out on selection for the tournament. 28 year old seam bowler Sohail Tanvir was one of the players who was overlooked by the selectors for the tournament in England and Wales and speaking exclusively with PakPassion.net, Tanvir explained why he thought the Pakistani batsmen struggled for form at the Champions Trophy.
 
“It was very disappointing to see colleagues and team mates struggle during the Champions Trophy. I think we all had high expectations of the team going into the tournament particularly given Pakistan’s record in previous ICC tournaments and if the batsmen had provided the bowlers with some decent scores to defend around the 220 run mark, I’m sure the bowlers would have managed to defend those totals. Scores of 170 or so against the best teams in the world aren’t enough and it’s very rarely that you can defend such totals.”
 
“I think confidence amongst the Pakistani batsmen was low right at the start of the tour. Against Ireland, Pakistan struggled and only narrowly managed to win the two match series. The batsmen looked short of confidence in Ireland and I’m afraid that continued during the Champions Trophy. A rousing victory in Ireland would certainly have helped the Pakistani batsmen prepare for the Champions Trophy but that never materialised. The warm up match against South Africa was the highlight of the tour but unfortunately it proved to be a false dawn.”
 
Tanvir added “The batsmen should have taken a leaf out of Misbah-Ul-Haq’s book. He (Misbah) batted with responsibility and looked very solid in all conditions and against all of the bowling attacks Pakistan came up against. Unfortunately though the support, from some of the other batsmen was minimal and whilst confidence was low, there also seemed to be a number of the Pakistani batsmen struggling for form.”
 
Regarding his own international future Tanvir who last played for Pakistan in December last year in a Twenty20 international against India stated “Playing for Pakistan has always been my priority. Despite playing domestic cricket around the world for various teams, my aim has always been to play regularly for my country. I wasn’t selected for the Champions Trophy and that is a decision that the selectors made and one that I respect. Yes I was disappointed to miss out on selection for the Champions Trophy, but that is part and parcel of professional cricket. You have ups, you have downs and sometimes you have to take setbacks on the chin and get on with it and look ahead. “
 
“I’m here at Hampshire this season so that I can perform well for them and help the team achieve success and remind the Pakistani selectors that I am still around and knocking on the door of selection. I’ve made a good start and I’m looking forward to playing for Hampshire this season. I can only do my best, perform to the best of my ability and then it’s over to the selection committee to make the choices that they feel are in the best interests of Pakistan cricket.”
 
Tanvir has signed for Hampshire for all three formats this season and he feels that his stint at Hampshire could prove to be pivotal in his career as he looks to cement a place in Pakistan’s limited over teams.
 
“I’m honoured to be playing county cricket for Hampshire. Some of the Pakistani greats over the years like Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis have played county cricket and improved as cricketers after their stints in county cricket. It’s not about coming over to England and just earning money, rather it’s more about the opportunity to learn and develop my cricketing skills. I spoke with Wasim Akram about the chance to play for Hampshire and he said grab it with both hands as it’s a fantastic opportunity. Wasim stated to me that you will definitely come back to Pakistan a better cricketer after a spell in county cricket. I feel that this spell at Hampshire is really crucial in my development as a cricketer and I want to ensure that I make the best of this opportunity.”
 
Sohail Tanvir was one of a number of pace bowlers that worked under the supervision of Wasim Akram at a bowling camp in Pakistan ahead of the Champions Trophy and commenting on his time working with the fast bowling legend, Tanvir stated that Akram’s advice for him was focused more on the mental side of the game and boosting his self belief and confidence.
 
“Wasim said to me that I have a lot of ability and that I am good enough to play international cricket. However what I needed to improve was my self-belief, confidence and my morale which had been affected after being in and out of the Pakistan side. Wasim was very positive about my future and he really helped me focus on the future and to regain my confidence. When one of the best bowlers of all time speaks highly of you, that is definitely going to help you and make you believe in yourself. I’m over here in England with my morale high and playing competitive cricket and looking forward to reclaiming a spot in the Pakistan side once again.”
 
Tanvir’s made an impressive start for Hampshire as he picked up 2 for 95 and scored 37 in a four day game against Gloucestershire and then on his Yorkshire Bank 40 over debut, he took 3 for 42 as Hampshire defeated Derbyshire by 46 runs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment